Saturday, January 29, 2011

The Grace to Race Question: How are Your New Year's Resolutions Coming Along?

So how are your New Year's Resolutions coming along?

Now that we're almost through January, it's a good chance to reflect on the goals we've set and how we've done.  The Grace to Race was a book that inspired in me an effort to be more spiritually and physically mindful.  And Smart Martha's Catholic Guide for Busy Moms has prompted me to tackle certain areas of home organization.  First on my list is a printable grocery list of regularly purchased items.  Haven't done that, but it helps to write it down.  Maybe it will get done in February.

I'm surprised--not sure why--at the lack of progress on my main areas that I had planned to do.  I had determined to write down my new year's resolutions this year, and other than a quick email to my husband with some ideas for "family resolution" possibilities, I didn't do much.  I do think I have made some progress in things, but being more concrete is going to help me feel like progress is happening.  I have started using the Teux Deux app, and I love getting to cross things off the lists, but it hasn't quite become second nature yet.  Some days I use it, some days not so much.

Here's one resolution I am actually beginning to keep:  After a not-so-great phone interview recently, I determined to get more practice in this area.    So I've decided to interview one person I know per week (for no more than 30 minutes) for "practice" in writing up the questions and being a good listener to bring out the best in those I interview.  I send the friend the questions ahead of time, and then do the interview over a cup of tea or coffee.

This week I had my first--I interviewed a longtime friend who also happens to be a physical therapist, about her work and its benefits.   We had a lot of fun, and I had some great practice.  One of the tips that she gave is that posture is very important in keeping our bodies healthy.  As I write this, I'm trying to sit a little straighter.

Next week, I'll interview a choir director about music, and in return I will teach her how to play backgammon.

Are you making progress on your New Year's Resolutions?  If you chose a "word" to focus on for the year, how's it working out?

No comments:

Post a Comment