Saturday, January 8, 2011

Meet a Reader: Shannon Cardaronella

This month's "Meet a Reader" is a wonderful woman I met several years back at the Peoria Diocese Summer Institute.    At a dinner for speakers (both our husbands were speakers that year), we talked the entire time about, I know you will be shocked to hear this....books!  This actually is quite surprising as we have kids of similar ages, and kids tends to be a default subject.  I knew she would be great to feature here, and I am so glad to be able to introduce another thoughtful "reader" to Catholic Post readers.  Thanks, Shannon!
How You Know Me:

You probably do not know me.  More people know my husband, Marc, the Director of Religious Education (DRE) at Holy Cross Parish in Champaign and the Regional DRE for Champaign/Danville.  I love Holy Cross!   Holy Cross is one of the loveliest churches I have every enjoyed, and it is our home parish.  If you are ever in Champaign, please come worship with us.  Consider yourself invited.  I also appreciate that our parish is a motley crew of folks from all walks of life.  Marc and I have two boys:  John Berchmans "JB", 9 and David, 7.  I am a homeschool mom, and I love homeschooling also allows us to read, read, read!

Why I Love Reading:

I grew up surrounded by huge bookshelves filled to the brim and even cataloged.  My sister read to me all the time when I was very young.  My parents discussed their latest reads at the dinner table.  We read it all, from junky books to works that uplifted the mind.  We were curious about other people and places, other points of view, new ways of looking at the world.  Finally, my parents were not afraid of the world.  They both possessed an innate love of and trust in the world and people, always teaching me that most people are good and kind and want to help.  This trust allows me to go deeply into the world of the book I am reading.  There is something about losing oneself in a good book that can neither be adequately expressed nor replicated with other media. 

My Favorite Book:

Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell.  While Scarlett is the main character, it is Melanie who fascinates me.  Melanie is a beautiful Christ figure.  As a reader, I wince at Scarlett's flaws: her insensitivity, selfishness and heartless conniving.  Melanie sees Scarlett's perfections: her fortitude, intelligence, good horse sense and strength. The kicker is Melanie is right.  Scarlett -- exactly who she is, with all of her flaws, because of who she is, with all of her flaws -- saved herself, Tara, Melanie and the baby, Mammy & Prissy... her whole "tribe" if you will, against seemingly insurmountable odds.  Melanie is no doe-eyed ignorant optimist.  She accepts and embraces Scarlett and the world as they are.  This acceptance brings out the best in all, including even Rhett Butler and Belle Watling. 

What I'm Reading Now:

Rediscover Catholicism by Matthew Kelly.  Fr. Willard, our pastor at Holy Cross, gave a copy to every family at Christmas Mass.  Thank you, Fr. Willard!  There is a lot of "food for thought" in this one.  And since this is my very own copy, I can underline to my heart's content.

No comments:

Post a Comment