Friday, April 13, 2012

Meet a Reader: Deacon George Geagea


I'm delighted to feature as a "reader" this month Deacon George Geagea.  Thank you so much, Deacon, for agreeing to be featured this month. 



How you know me:

I’m Deacon George Geagea, a deacon at St. Sharbel Maronite Catholic Church in Peoria.  I have been married for 30 years to my wife Najeebe, and we have 5 children—Jeanette, Nadia, Amanda, Gabriel and Rachel.  I work as the chief administration officer at Illinois Neurological Institute.  I was born and raised in Lebanon, and moved to central Illinois at the age of 18. 

Why I love reading:

Reading makes me use my imagination and helps me get into the mind of the author, helps me gain different perspectives of issues and expands my thinking.  Genres I enjoy reading include spiritual and inspirational books and self-improvement books.

What I’m currently reading:

I am currently reading a book by Fr. Larry Richards titled Be A Man! Becoming The Man God Created You To Be.  He has a simple, yet profound, message to Catholic men about how to experience the real presence of God in our daily lives.

My favorite books: 

I have two favorite recent reads.  The one that really captured my imagination and made me think at a deeper level was Jesus of Nazareth by Pope Benedict XVI.  This book differentiates between the historic Jesus and the person Jesus who lives forever.

Another recent favorite is Contemplating the Trinity: The Path to the Abundant Christian Life by Father Raniero Cantalamessa.  Fr. Cantalamessa is preacher to the papal household, and it is an excellent read.  In Contemplating the Trinity, Father Cantalamessa looks at the Trinity from multiple dimensions, such as the Trinity and beauty, or the Trinity and love, and goes deep into the mystery of the Trinity and its relationship to humanity.

No comments:

Post a Comment